- Title Pages
- 1 Earning, Yearning and Making Do: Huysmans, Les Soeurs Vatard
- 2 Flâneurs and Shoppers: Huysmans, En ménage
- 3 From Shopping to Schopenhauer: Huysmans, A vau-l'eau
- 4 Transactions and Value: Gide, L'Immoraliste
- 5 La Lente Agonie du petit commerce? Balzac, Grandeur et décadence de César Birotteau and Zola, Au bonheur des dames
- 6 Elevé dans le commerce: Céline, Mort à crédit
- 7 The Emporium Strikes Back: Dutourd, Au Bon Beurre
- 8 The Big Sell
- 9 The grand magasin: Zola, Au bonheur des dames
- 10 ‘Les Vénus des comptoirs’: Feminism and Shopping in the 1920s
- 11 Total Retail: Figures of the Dystopian Superstore
- 12 Speculations on Value
- 13 Post-war Visions of Paradise: The Dawning of the Consumer Society
- 14 Managing the Consumers (1): Motivational Analysts
- 15 Managing the Consumers (2): Advertisers
- 16 The Consumers Managing (1): Making Do by Instalments
- 17 The Consumers Managing (2): Making Do and Producing
- Conclusion: A Good Buy?
- Consumer Chronicles
- Liverpool University Press
Liverpool Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.