- Title Pages
- Chapter 1 Indians with Voices: Revisiting <i>Savagism and Civilization</i>
- Chapter 2 Wild Hope: Love, Money and Mythic Identity in the Novels of Louise Erdrich<sup>1</sup>
- Chapter 3 Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee: Mythologies of Representation in Selected Writings on Boxing by Norman Mailer<sup>1</sup>
- Chapter 4 The Secret Sharing: Myth and Memory in the Writing of Jayne Anne Phillips
- Chapter 5 The Individual's Ghost: Towards a New Mythology of the Postmodern
- Chapter 6 ‘Cheap, On Sale, American Dream’: Contemporary Asian American Women Writers' Responses to American Success Mythologies
- Chapter 7 ‘No Way Back Forever’: American Western Myth in Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy
- Chapter 8 Native American Visions of Apocalypse: Prophecy and Protest in the Fiction of Leslie Marmon Silko and Gerald Vizenor<sup>1</sup>
- Chapter 9 The Brave New World of Computing in Post-war American Science Fiction
- Chapter 10 Mythologies of ‘Ecstatic immersion’: America, The Poem and the Ethics of Lyric in Jorie Graham and Lisa Jarnot
- Chapter 11 Whose Myth is it Anyway? Coyote in the Poetry of Gary Snyder and Simon J. Ortiz
- Chapter 12 Aging, Anxious and Apocalyptic: Baseball's Myths for the Millennium
- Chapter 13 Finding a Voice, Telling a Story: Constructing Communal Identity in Contemporary American Women's Writing
- Notes on Contributors
- American Mythologies
- Liverpool University Press
Liverpool Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.