- Title Pages
- One Introduction
- Two Gibraltar Incommunicado
- Three The Lisbon Agreement
- Four Spain's Approaches to NATO
- Five ‘Different and Distant’? the Falklands/Malvinas Dispute
- Six Spain Joins NATO
- Seven The Border Remains Closed
- Eight Felipe Opens the Gates
- Nine Towards the Brussels Declaration
- Ten The Border is Fully Opened: Negotiations Get Under Way
- Eleven Osmosis Begins
- Twelve Sovereignty and Sovereigns
- Thirteen Into Felipe's Second Term: Guards and Gates
- Fourteen The Battle over the Airport
- Fifteen Gibraltarians Vote to Resist
- Sixteen First Visits by First Ladies
- Seventeen The Bossano Strategy
- Eighteen Spain's Role in Death on the Rock
- Nineteen A European Hong Kong?
- Twenty Tackling Money-Laundering and Smuggling
- Twenty-One Felipe Visits London
- Twenty-Two Four More Years for Joe Bossano
- Twenty-Three The External Frontier Issue Remains Unresolved
- Twenty-Four Conclusion
- Appendix 1 The Treaty of Utrecht (2–13 July 1713)
- Appendix 2 The Lisbon Agreement (10 April 1980)
- Appendix 3 The Brussels Declaration (27 November 1984)
- Appendix 4 The Government of Gibraltar
The Bossano Strategy
The Bossano Strategy
- (p.150) Seventeen The Bossano Strategy
- A Stone in Spain's Shoe
- Liverpool University Press
This chapter describes events that took place between January and February 1989. These include Joe Bossano's first official visit to La Línea on 10 and 11 January; and Sir Geoffrey Howe' visit to Gibraltar on 30 January, his first since Bossano's election victory in March 1988. The chapter discusses Bosanno's strategy, which was to seek economic independence for Gibraltar as a means of maintaining political independence. He also refused to participate in the annual round of talks between the British and Spanish Foreign Ministers, in order to indicate his rejection of the Brussels Declaration.
Liverpool Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.