- Title Pages
- Note on the Jacket Illustration
- List of Abbreviations
- 1 Teaching by Examples: Greek
- 2 Teaching by Examples: Roman
- 3 Quintilian and Seneca
- 4 Convenience
- 5 <i>Chreiai, Apophthegmata</i> and other Compilations
- 6 The Roman Tradition
- 7 Valerius's Moral Purpose
- 8 Valerius's Choice of Examples
- 9 Valerius's Criteria of Belief
- 10 The Audience
- 11 The Author
- Practical Ethics for Roman Gentlemen
- Liverpool University Press
Liverpool Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.