- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- Author's Introduction to the Second Edition
- Introduction to the Original Edition
- Chapter 1 Macgregor Laird
- Chapter 2 Alexander Elder and John Dempster
- Chapter 3 Alfred Lewis Jones
- Chapter 4 The West African Shipping Conference
- Chapter 5 Expansion and Diversification
- Chapter 6 The Effects of the Conference System
- Chapter 7 Lord Kylsant
- Chapter 8 The Great War
- Chapter 9 Reconstruction and Change
- Chapter 10 The End of the Royal Mail Group
- Chapter 11 The Reorganisation of the Company
- Chapter 12The Second World War
- Chapter 13 Post-War Reconstruction
- Chapter 14 Recent Developments
- Chapter 15 The Future
- Chapter 16 A False Dawn and Terminal Decline
- List of Appendices
Alfred Lewis Jones
Alfred Lewis Jones
- (p.37) Chapter 3 Alfred Lewis Jones
- The Trade Makers
Peter N. Davies
- Liverpool University Press
This chapter follows the professional career of Alfred Lewis Jones to his position as senior partner of Elder Dempster and Company. It details Jones’ early career history, including the establishment of his firm, Alfred L. Jones and Company, and his junior partnership with Elder Dempster and Company. The chapter concludes with Jones’ decision to create a conference system to regulate the West African shipping trade, as a result of constant negotiations with rival opponents Woermann Line of Hamburg and the Royal Niger Company.
Keywords: West Africa, British West Africa, West African Trade, West African Shipping Trade, African Steam Ship Company, Liverpool Shipping, British and African Steam Navigation Company, Elder Dempster, Alfred L. Jones and Company, Alfred Lewis Jones
Liverpool Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.