- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- Author's Introduction to the Second Edition
- Introduction to the Original Edition
- Chapter 1 Macgregor Laird
- Chapter 2 Alexander Elder and John Dempster
- Chapter 3 Alfred Lewis Jones
- Chapter 4 The West African Shipping Conference
- Chapter 5 Expansion and Diversification
- Chapter 6 The Effects of the Conference System
- Chapter 7 Lord Kylsant
- Chapter 8 The Great War
- Chapter 9 Reconstruction and Change
- Chapter 10 The End of the Royal Mail Group
- Chapter 11 The Reorganisation of the Company
- Chapter 12The Second World War
- Chapter 13 Post-War Reconstruction
- Chapter 14 Recent Developments
- Chapter 15 The Future
- Chapter 16 A False Dawn and Terminal Decline
- List of Appendices
- (p.339) Chapter 15 The Future
- The Trade Makers
Peter N. Davies
- Liverpool University Press
This chapter predicts future challenges to the progress and viability of Elder Dempster, and reflects on West African nations’ increasing desire to independently carry and operate their own shipping services. It discusses the advantages of conference systems and palletisation schemes and provides a forecast on growth in West African trade as a whole. The chapter concludes with an analysis of the existing situation of West African trade and Elder Dempster’s future prospects at the time of writing in 1972, and takes into consideration the company’s valuable association with Ocean Transport and Trading Limited.
Keywords: West Africa, British West Africa, West African Trade, West African Shipping Trade, Liverpool Shipping, Elder Dempster, West African Lines Conference, West African Independence, Ocean Transport and Trading Limited
Liverpool Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.