- Title Pages
- Yrjö Kaukiainen: A Tribute on the Occasion of his Forthcoming Retirement as Professor of Maritime History at the University of Helsinki
- Yrjö Kaukiainen: A Man of the Sea
- Yrjö Kaukiainen and the Development of Maritime Economic History
- Finnish Sailors, 1750-1870
- Finnish and International Maritime Labour in the Age of Sail: Was There a Market?
- Five Years Before the Mast: Observations on the Conditions of Maritime Labour in Finland and Elsewhere
- The Maritime Labour Market: Skill and Experience as Factors of Demand and Supply
Owners and Masters: Management and Managerial Skills in the Finnish Ocean-Going Merchant Fleet, c. 1840-1880
- From Low-Cost to High-Cost Shipping: Finnish Maritime Labour Costs after the Second World War
- The Modernization of Finnish Coastal Shipping and Railway Competition c. 1830-1913
- British Timber Imports and Finnish Shipping 1860-1910
- Baltic Timber-Trade under Sail: An Example of the Persistence of Old Techniques
Coal and Canvas: Aspects of the Competition between Steam and Sail, c. 1870-1914
- Dutch Shipping and the Swedish Navigation Act (1724): A Case Study
- Seamen Ashore: Port Visits of Late Nineteenth-Century Finnish Sailors
- Wreck-Plundering by East Finnish Coastal People - Criminal Tradition or Popular Culture?
From Days and Knots to Pounds and Dollars: Some Problems in the Study of the Economics of Late Nineteenth Century Merchant Shipping
- Tons and Tonnages: Ship Measurement and Shipping Statistics, c. 1870-1980
- International Freight Markets in the 1830s and 1840s: The Experience of a Major Finnish Shipowner
- Shrinking the World: Improvements in the Speed of Information Transmission, c. 1820-1870
- Yrjö Kaukiainen: A Maritime Bibliography
Finnish Sailors, 1750-1870
Finnish Sailors, 1750-1870
- (p.1) Finnish Sailors, 1750-1870
- Sail and Steam
- Liverpool University Press
This chapter presents the environment of the Finnish shipping market in the years 1750 to 1870. It details the demand of maritime labour as a result of expansion in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and provides an insight into the working conditions of those labourers. The chapter also describes the integration of the Finnish maritime labour market with the international maritime world, in particular Finnish sailors’ involvement with the international labour market.
Liverpool Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.