- Title Pages
- Introduction to the 2012 Edition
- Series Editor's Foreword
- Chapter 1 The Widening of Horizons, 1560-1689
- Chapter 2 Consolidation, 1689-1775
- Chapter 3 Ships and Shipbuilders in the Seventeenth Century
- Chapter 4 Ships and Shipbuilders in the Eighteenth Century
- Chapter 5 The Shipowners
- Chapter 6 The Merchant Seamen
- Chapter 7 The Pay and Conditions of Merchant Seamen
- Chapter 8 Shipping Management and the Role of the Master
- Chapter 9 Shipping and Trade
- Chapter 10 The Nearby and Northern European Trades
- Chapter 11 The Southern European and Mediterranean Trades
- Chapter 12 The East Indian Trade
- Chapter 13 The American and West Indian Trades
- Chapter 14 The Government and the Shipping Industry
- Chapter 15 War and the Shipping Industry
- Chapter 16 Four Ships and Their Fortunes
- Chapter 17 Was It a Profitable Business?
- Chapter 18 Conclusion
- Appendix A A Note on the Shipping Statistics, 1686-1788
- Appendix B Sources for the History of the Shipping Industry
- The Rise of the English Shipping Industry in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries
- Liverpool University Press
Liverpool Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.